Guiding Principles of New Mexico Common Core
The New Mexico Public Education Department’s guiding principles for the Common Core State Standards are to:
- Prepare students with the knowledge and skills they need to succeed in education and training after high school.
- Ensure students are globally competitive by exposing them to educational standards that are used throughout the world.
- Improve equity and economic opportunity for all students by having consistent expectations for achievement for all students.
- Clarify so that parents, teachers and students understand what is expected of them.
- Collaborate across districts and with other states so that there is sharing of resources and expertise in the development of new classroom materials, curriculum, teacher professional development and student exams based on best practices.