Information For Parents
New Mexico has always prioritized rigorous learning goals for our students. New Mexico adopted the Common Core State Standards in 2010 with the goal of better preparing students with the skills and knowledge they need to succeed in college and careers. The Common Core State Standards give us several advantages over the current New Mexico state standards. Specifically they will:
- Make our students globally competitive, by teaching educational standards that are used throughout the world
- Give our students the skills and knowledge they need to succeed in college or careers
- Give all students access to the same rigorous standards, regardless of where they live, or what their family background is
- Clarify standards so that parents, teachers and students understand what is expected of them
- Increase collaboration across districts and with other states to share resources and expertise in teaching the Common Core State Standards
The Common Core State Standards (CCSS) benefit your child because they will be better prepared for their futures when they graduate high school. These new standards will benefit community and family because they are a consistent set of expectations for students, no matter what their zip code is. When a family moves, a student’s education is often disrupted, as they are forced to repeat material or learn at a different level. With common standards across states, this disruption will be reduced.
Currently, Common Core State Standards exist only for English Language Arts and Mathematics. Common Core standards will be developed in the future for other core subjects such as science and social studies.